Melba Toast Recipe
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, toast your bread. It should be as well-browned as you can get it without burning it - I usually use a toaster oven. Keep in mind that you will get four pieces of Melba toast for every slice of bread you use.
Toasted slices of bread
- Now, cut each slice of bread in half lengthwise (see photo below).
Cutting toast in half
- Standing the half of toast on end, split it through the middle (see photo below). You should now have two quarters of toast, each untoasted on one side.
Making toast quarters
- Arrange all the toast quarters on a baking sheet with the untoasted sides facing up (see photo below). Place baking sheet in oven on center rack.
Toast quarters on baking sheet
I love eating Melba toast with fancy cheeses, but it is also good as a side dish with soups and pasta. You can make it out of any type of bread you like, including french bread. I personally think that, for Melba toast, white bread tastes better that wheat. I like to use light Wonder bread, which only has 40 calories per slice, so only 80 calories for 8 pieces of Melba toast. Yum!